Monday, December 3, 2012

Movie Review: Rise of the Guardians

I admit, even at my age (21) I'm still a big sucker for children's movies especially when they have awesome powers and abilities. Lol. I guess it's just me being a geek. Anyways, I would just like to share my review on: The Rise of the Guardians. I watched this yesterday as I waited for my family to finish their Christmas shopping (emphasis on the 'their' since I was not doing any shopping myself as I haven't received my paycheck yet). By the way, SPOILERS MAY BE AHEAD.


STORY

The story of this film is quite engaging as they have re-imagined popular make-believe characters and made awesome backstories for each and one of them and each backstory is engulfed with one another and makes one massive story to follow. Basically, it's like, to quote a review I have read on Wikipedia, the Avengers for kids.  They each get awesome abilities in conjunction with what they are supposed to do. Each character also represents a value a kid has to believe into in order for them to be able to see the character the value represents.  I'm not going to divulge any information. You have to see it for yourself.  Plot-wise, it's a two-thumbs up performance, but as for pacing, it's another matter. I was really disappointed with the pacing and I can't help but compare it with Marvel's The Avengers as they have similarities they share. For Avengers, they had the chance to explore the backstory of each character with the previous films they have released that focuses on the character's individual backstory. This was something The Rise for the Guardians didn't have. They have this one whole story made up of substories and they tried to tell it in one film that ran for like 2 hours only. I felt like I was jumping from one story to another and I did a lot of assumptions based on small plot drops just for me to enjoy the whole film. That's the only thing that the film had room for improvements story-wise.

ANIMATION

Don't watch it in 3d. I didn't revel in the whole experience in 3d as I didn't feel any difference between the 2d and the 3d. There were no jaw-dropping-pops-out-from-the-screen animation. I thought there would be a lot since there was a lot of action in this film but I guess they considered the effects of such animation to young audiences (Google Porygon episode of Pokemon).
  
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
Despite of the fast pacing of the movie, the movie was able to flesh out its characters. You will surely remember your favorite character and how he or she came to be. The characters would have been carved out better if they were able to pace the movie intelligently. 

MORAL
One will learn a lot from this film. I guess the lesson that really resonated was this:
"You will never know who you are unless you look back to who you were."

OVERALL

The movie is a must-see. If you could interpret the plot drops, the pacing may not be that bad. It is highly encouraged for kids to see it and they will be surely entertained. Adults as well. There is enough action to keep the adults off the edge of their seat. It may not be the best but it surely placed somewhere above all films this 2012. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment