Monday, November 11, 2013

The name that blew the Philippines

Yolanda has left me devastated. I may not be affected physically nor my loved ones but seeing the news left me with grief.

I will never forget how scared I was when I learned Yolanda was to pass through Bicol. That's where my partner is currently assigned. I told partner to take care and not to push his plans of getting home for the weekend. He went to buy groceries ahead so that they have food over the storm. Despite of the preparations, I can't help myself but be worried so I showered him with texts asking if he was okay.

Friday night came and Yolanda struck. I followed the news religiously and constantly asked partner how he was. Partner wasn't able to hide his feelings and said, "Bunso, nakakatakot na rito."

If only I was with him and to tuck him under my arms but I stood here in Manila helpless. I was not able to do anything and only words of comfort I offered. I tried not to cry, a feat since I can be a crybaby at times, because I didn't want him to worry. I hated the feeling of not being able to do anything. I'm his partner. I should do something. But the circumstances held me stunned in place. This was the first challenge of our long-distance relationship and I found it quite difficult not being physically present to comfort partner. Yolanda has shakened me and my relationship, the bond partner and I shared was subjected to pressure.

*****

Fortunately, partner came out of it safe and well but I cannot say the same for all. Haiy. I grief for those who have been affected by Yolanda especially those from Tacloban. My prayers are with you.

And to readers, I urge you to help in your own way. A canned good can go long for those victims of Yolanda. It's time for us to step up. Expressing grief online is one thing, actually helping is another. Words are powerful but it won't magically turn to food, clothes nor shelter. Let's do our part and act.


Posted via Blogaway

9 comments:

  1. We are fortunate to be safe :) I helped our brothers and sisters in those affected areas by repacking the relief goods(3+2+1+1 Program) at drop off centers. Maybe you fellow readers can do the same in your area :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey saaaan? Any details? Partner and I were talking about volunteering a while ago?

      Delete
    2. There are so many places you can volunteer to repack goods :) Like the Red Cross, ABS CBN, GMA, and other charitable groups found near your area :)

      Delete
  2. Its good to know that your partner is safe... Its so sad to see children and elders in the affected area so helpless...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. mixed emotions regarding dito. Masaya dahil safe kami pero malungkot para sa mga nasalanta. :'(

      Delete
  3. thats good na safe si partner. hay my heart is breaking into pieces as i read/watch the news about the devastation. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time here.

    I was scared for Albay too as it's where I came from. All my loved ones are there. Good thing that my home province was really not that affected. Thank God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit! Nice to know that your family is safe and sound. Let's pray and volunteer for those who have been affected by the typhoon.

      Delete